Balmy winter predictions 2010/11

LeeUK
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Favourite Season: Winter

Balmy winter predictions 2010/11

Post #1 by LeeUK » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Hello all. I'm just wondering if you have any non scientific based predictions for this coming winter? I thought it'd be fun to look back on this thread in Spring 2011.

NOV-DEC
I'm going for a m**d start, after the usual frosty mornings of late October, early November. From mid November onwards it'll be wet and windy across much of the British Isles. December will see a slight shift as high pressure begins to take hold, bringing a return to cold crisp frosty mornings with plenty of winter sunshine.

DEC-JAN
From around the 26th December, the Atlantic low starts to muscle the high pressure out, bringing sleet and some snow to higher ground across the South West, and Southern Wales. The new year will be be wet and windy for most of England and Wales, with Scotland remaining largely dry.

JAN-FEB
From around the 7th of January, a cold Northerly will swoop down from the Arctic, bringing snow for Northern Scotland. The rest of the UK will see a return to cold and frosty days. I see this one sticking around for 2 or 3 weeks until the end of the month.

FEB-MAR
This is where the fun begins. Late January, early February, will see the Atlantic low trying to make a return, along with the approaching Easterly. Heavy rain/sleet will start to batter the South West, quickly proceeded by heavy snow. This will spread across Wales, the Southern Counties, upto the Midlands, and finally Northern England. The wintery conditions will keep the country under a thick blanket for several days before the atlantic finally wins out.

Mid to late Feb, the thaw starts to kick in. Heavy rain, and melting snow will bring lots of localised flooding. Stormy conditions will persist until the end of Fabruary into early March.

MAR-APR
The stormy weather will start to shift, bringing a return to calmer, dryer conditions. The temperatures start to steadily rise, and spring starts to make an appearance.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Pre-2012”