The Herbal Stuff.

A place to share and discuss those wonderful recipes.
GrannyGrottbags
Site Support
Site Support
Favourite Season: Winter

The Herbal Stuff.

Post #1 by GrannyGrottbags » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Lots of information and books on health have been attributed to herbs over time and mums and dads, nans and grandads have all had their family favorites and, we're all still here with no ill effects. Its a mark of our time however and a grim reality that with the advent of the codex alimentarious in Europe in december 2011 (for UK) that the 'medicinal' benefits of a particular foodstuff (namely herbs, barks and resins) has been changed to being called 'food supplements' for the layman ;) and only termed as 'medicinal' if you're a company who has spent thousands on a liscense per Codex ruled herb. From what I've seen and read this is'nt a law, its a Government food administration reccomendation entered into by each respective country on a voluntary basis, you just have to have a lot of money to liscense each foodstuff that you want to sell as a 'medicinal' herb ??? and i hav'nt found the list yet of each herb they expect you to pay a lot of money to liscense to sell ??? . As i don't sell medicinal herbs nor their productions this is'nt a problem however, if i want to buy something i normally bought in my healthfood shop i might find a lot of stuff has had its ingredients weakened, changed or removed and became unnavailable or, the name of the company that used to sell it has changed (presumably because they had a lot of money to go around and could afford the new liscense) eg: i can only now buy 'Bioforce' brand of echinacea tincture in my healthfood shop ;). Information however, is still free :ymhug: as long as i don't sell it =)) . By the way, this whole thing is reflected in the price of each product you want to buy, being offset by the cost of the liscense of course ;) Anyway, any information here has not necessarily been evaluated and should not be considered as medical advice. Its not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. For diagnosis or treatment consult your physician. Use herbs in moderation and watch for allergic reactions. If you are taking any other medication, are suffering from a medical condition and/or are at all concerned, consult your doctor before taking any herbs.Remember that diet, exercise and relaxation are equally important to your health. :ymhug: (Thought I'd put that in there just in case ;) ).

♥♥(¯`'•. ~O) HeartOfTheHome:TheKitchen ~O)¸.• '´ ¯) ♥♥ (¯`'•.¸ @};- GardensAndAlottments @};- ¸.• '´ ¯)♥♥

This topic has 49 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “In the Kitchen”