Winter Tyres

Come and have a cosy chat in here about anything autumn or winter related, including #uksnow (UK Snow)
TheWinterSoldier
Site Support
Site Support
Favourite Season: Winter

Winter Tyres

Post #1 by TheWinterSoldier » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:14 pm

This was a fairly lengthy topic last winter but evil mild winter (one of the mildest I've ever known) decided hardly a frost would occur let alone any glorious snow. For those unfamiliar with these, then these key points may help.

1. In any conditions where the temperature is +7C or lower, winter tyres offer superior levels of grip and braking

2. This level of superiority will increase further when tested on cold wet roads or good old snow

3. Cars sit there with wheels spinning in snow because they are on summer tyres, not because they haven't got 4WD

4. Summer tyres go hard like plastic in cold conditions and cannot grip whereas winter tyres remain flexible and special 'sipes' dig into the snow or cold tarmac and deliver great grip and braking

5. They are expensive though aren't they?! It's all relative. I paid £350 last summer for a set of market leading Continental TS850 16" tyres. The key thing is that while they are fitted, I am not wearing out the normal tyres and vice versa.

6. Real world example? Yes. When I used to own a Land Rover Freelander 2, I had winter tyres and there I was taking it steady through town when someone who foolishly tried braking on snow, slid out of a side street into my path. I had no choice but to brake hard and I pulled up in time. Would have crashed without winter tyres which also justifies the cost of them!

7. How much to have them fitted, and balanced etc.? I used a mobile fitter last time and it cost £40 all in. This time, I have changed cars again and have 17" wheels so the tyres won't fit. I have purchased a manky set of 16" alloys from ebay in order to use my tyres and because of this, the fitter will only charge £25. (less faffing when you have a 2nd set of wheels)

8. I am interested, where can I buy? Local tyre garages will help you find some or buy online at places such as love tyres or tyre pneus

9. If I want to fit them straight onto my existing wheels, how do I know the right size? Look on the tyre wall. My winter tyres are 195/45 R16. Width, height and rim size

10. Can I see them in action?! Check out the below video!

Hope that helps and I may have missed some bits but it gives an idea. Now let's hope for snow :weneedsnow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

Formerly known as LandRoverSnow - Now an Audi owner

This topic has 347 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Winter, UKSnow and Autumn Chat”